Forum

Cowardice, gutlessness, and "oh i flag".
jimmycolorado wrote
at 7:17 PM, Monday April 20, 2009 EDT
So, it's been my displeasure to witness despicable acts of cowardice on kdice so frequently that I can nearly guarantee you'll see it every game. The specific act? The "oh I flag to you" message.

Why do I think this is a problem? I'll attempt to explain it to you pea-brained peons.

What happens when someone calls "oh I flag" when the game is say 3 or 4 rounds in? It causes the person who they flagged to, obviously the one with a slight lead on everyone else, to change their focus to other players on the board. Nothing wrong with that you say... WRONG! The person who called the "oh I flag" is now being ignored and free to sit there like a little sissy and watch as the leader takes out everyone else.

He's the smart one, you say. Well, he's increased his position in the game, that's for sure, but as for smart? No, definitely not. He's taking advantage of a situation to the ultimate detriment of everyone else. So, you say, he's still getting a better position so he has to be smart? You could argue this point for a while, but what it really comes down to is enjoyment & cowardice, vs a few points. The flagger is not smart, he's just making the game less enjoyable for everyone else and being a coward. Smart or not, well it can't really be proved... but I'll always counter that argument with the fact that he may be smart, but he's a pathetic coward.

It's part of the game, you say. It's not part of the game. It's not written in the rules, it's not a guideline, it's not kosher. The game is about taking territories and fighting until there is a victor and only a couple of challengers left. Those challengers were the ones who fought well, held their territory, and crushed their opposition to hold 2nd or 3rd. The ones who DO NOT deserve 2nd or 3rd are the ones who called "oh i flag" and then sat there, not earning their position.

But flags are part of the game, you say... again. Yes, flags are, when you click that little button. Calling a "flag" in chat is NOT flagging, it's trucing. If you want to flag, click the flag and accept your position. Calling a "flag" (aka a truce) is meant to boost your position in the game, not accept defeat.

In real life you need allies. True. This is not real life... this is a game that is meant to be fun. Calling these bullcrap flags is EXACTLY the same as saying "lets truce", but for some reason nobody sees that. I've seen quite a few people rage up about "trucing", but there's too many morons playing who don't consider "oh i flag" the same as a truce. It is exactly the same.

Hopefully that has got you thinking. I have a particular hatred for this "oh I flag" crap because I play this game for a bit of friendly competition, and to pit my strategies against the opposition. I also watch sport on TV because it has good competition, not because I want to see one side, 5 minutes in after being scored against, say "oh we flag".

What I want you all to do is not accept "oh i flag" anymore. I want to drive this culture out of KDice, so that we can have some good competitive games. I accept actual flags when I'm winning, for sure. I will never accept "flags".

The dice, the territories, the strategy and the competition are what KDice is all about. The cowardly written "flags" are not.

Think about it.

jimmycolorado, aka the flag rager.

« First ‹ Previous Replies 51 - 60 of 66 Next › Last »
Pically wrote
at 5:14 PM, Friday May 1, 2009 EDT
It's like playing chess with no time limit - no one moves because he may lose a chess piece in the future...

And I get what you are saying StormLord - it's just that (at least at the low tables - I haven't played higher than 500) when someone writes "i flag", at least two other players will flag (2nd, 3rd and 4th) and the "rest" has to "play"..
In addition, the player beeing 1st often has no right to be in that position. The one having 2nd, freaked out "flagged" and suddenly it's like Austria has to play a soccer game against Brazil - 0:20?

Getting a picture of the table and the people, how they play etc.. is part of the game. But it's kind of contradictious PLAYING a game and STOPPING (imaginary flagging) in round 3.

Putting up a flag is a weak truce, with hardly anyone who cares about it.
magicz wrote
at 6:44 AM, Saturday May 2, 2009 EDT
Well I've been to the 500 tables. They suck. It's a giant hand job party. There are verbal flags in the second round, players being protected by their friends, discussion (in the first round) about who gets what position and more bs than can be found in a cow pasture. The game is really fun at the lower tables but the higher tables have turned into a giant circle with everyone sucking each others dicks. The game itself has evolved into something that is less battle and more about returning favors to each other for points. Face facts. You're more whores than fighters. Keep your circle jerk. I'll play at the lower tables for more fun.

That sums up Kdice in so many way's
StormLord wrote
at 7:08 AM, Saturday May 2, 2009 EDT
Don't complain about vflags.

Complain about those people who flag to early (selling their position short) or those who accept flags when it doesn't benefit them in the current game (and may cost them their position). Complain about these irrational players and not the concept of the vflag.

The concept of flags is fine. "I am not fighting for your position, so attacking each other is pointless".
StormLord wrote
at 7:15 AM, Saturday May 2, 2009 EDT
Bring in anonymous kdice and we wouldn't have the problem of vflags since everyone would disrespect them at their first opportunity (or at least any good players would).

Pically wrote
at 7:21 AM, Saturday May 2, 2009 EDT
I have to admit - not a bad suggestion ;)
jimmycolorado wrote
at 7:13 PM, Sunday May 3, 2009 EDT
"Bring in anonymous kdice and we wouldn't have the problem of vflags since everyone would disrespect them at their first opportunity (or at least any good players would)."

Yes... anonymous and silent (no chatbox) could be quite a lot of fun, although removes some of the social aspect of the game.

I disagree with your post above that though. vflags IS the problem, nothing else.
Battlepope wrote
at 5:20 AM, Monday May 4, 2009 EDT
I can't get my head around people who attempt to backstab or attack you and ruin you when you are fighting other people and you are 1st.

Then when you repel their attacks and beat them they toss up a flag.

I don't have to respect your flag, and I will kill you and leave you for the lowest position left no matter what place you are in.
megaprosper wrote
at 7:00 AM, Monday May 4, 2009 EDT
Ok Jimmy,
I agree most of you said.
But what can you answer to the player who do that and say "to know my weakness and take advantage of it is part of the game"?
I mean, your proposal is to create an ethic on "non-accepting pre-flags". It is ok when you are the leader. What if you are not and if you are victim of flaggers?
Most of time,people say "flag to you blue", then immediately, other players see the danger and also flag on the chat.
Is it possible to explain that "preflag" is a kind of truce? How to motivate other players for a counter, as nobody knows flag is truce?
Raminhos wrote
at 7:25 AM, Monday May 4, 2009 EDT
Kdice version without chat and avatars....just a dice war against 6 human brains!
Hardcoretraceur wrote
at 8:16 AM, Monday May 4, 2009 EDT
still, you can not win that game of chess without strategy and "attacks" even if there are no captures. (of course you can win without these things, if you're opponent is inept, but that isn't really much fun either)

i am all for people countertrucing when one person flags to another, even if that is not the correct terminology, the remaining players on the board, as jimmy pointed out, are now in store for some pain, I see no problem in them banding together against this.
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary