Forum

PGA is Cheating
Ryan wrote
at 1:52 AM, Thursday December 6, 2007 EST
If you team up against other players without them knowing it is a very unfair way to play and is therefore cheating. If you can't play any other way its kinda sad. I really believe in the game and PGA is not part of it.

There are a bunch of guys that think it's discussion worthly whether this is a valid way to play and it's absolutely not. I've told them this but they get off on their own special aim group thinking they're the "titans of kdice" when really they have no credibility.

If players here think this is a valid way to play please post here so I can remove your account so the rest of us can play the real game.... and trophies gained from this invalid play should be removed too.

Kdice is a great game and I believe there are great players out there that don't need to resort to these cheap tricks. I will move the game towards this pure kdice style as much as i can. For now I'll just remove people who chose otherwise.

« First ‹ Previous Replies 21 - 30 of 107 Next › Last »
montecarlo wrote
at 5:10 PM, Thursday December 6, 2007 EST
vanishing like madwilly?
integral wrote
at 5:13 PM, Thursday December 6, 2007 EST
or stoude. I really do miss stoude.
2Blue wrote
at 5:30 PM, Thursday December 6, 2007 EST
i suppose if you TRUCE in the chat box then it's ok, friend or not friends, right?

imo, a truce is not equal to PGA.
Shevar wrote
at 7:01 PM, Thursday December 6, 2007 EST
"Also, I'm all for removing identification on the tables, I think it would be great for the game."

I was thinking about that too. How about playoffs in the last days of a month without identification?

ps: i PGAed once with my brother. please forgive me.
mugambo wrote
at 8:21 PM, Thursday December 6, 2007 EST
""The most part of the top players are friendly with a lots of other top players and find them randomly at tables. They have tendency to attack the new coming they don't know. For me it is as a PGA...""

I'll have to elaborate on this. A lot of these players have played against each other for a long time. They know their habits and playing style. So against unknown players, they will get rid of the newer player first. Where this gets wrong...

A dominating player will let another friend live despite the fact that he's lost because they're either decent friends or they owe him a favor from a past game. Since they play a lot, there's incentive to give that person 3rd or 4th when they would've earned 6th or the final point total of a 7th place finish. It might not be the next game or the game after it, but the friend will return the favor, either with an illogical mid-game truce or a similar reach around when the friend is dominating this time.

There are some who relish this social aspect. I've noticed some players who aren't that good strategically, but have a great knack for talking and gaming up alliances...aka diplomacy. And when they're lucky with a good start, they're vocal enough to make the other person know they're repaying the favor.

It's almost impossible to eliminate this aspect of a higher ranked game. Most high ranked games don't have blatant pgas. This isn't exactly a pga, because it's situational, but it skews the game of chance a lot.

Let's say you're a mediocre player like me. I get lucky 2 games out of 5 and win 1st in them, but I place 6th, 6th, and 7th for the last 3. But if I bailed out a friend in one of my lucky games, then he bails me out in one of my unlucky game. One of my 6th ranked loss (-30) is now a 3rd ranked loss (+10) which net me 40 point swing for keeping a human relationship with someone I possibly like or respect.

There are so many aspects to human bias that go unaccounted for. With an 8 stack, do you kill your friend's 5 stack when other random players have smaller territories to claim? Would you be more likely to attack against an evenly matched stack if your neighbor isn't a friend and who will definitely capitalize on a loss?

I've said it before, multiplayer games will have these situations because people are bright and they'll figure out the best means to win. I think ID removal will only increase the likelyhood of PGAs through instant messengers because the other aspect to what I've written is that blatant PGAs are avoided in higher tables because grudges are enforced and kept.
firebus wrote
at 9:19 PM, Thursday December 6, 2007 EST
Ryan: "If you team up against other players without them knowing it is a very unfair way to play"

Ryan apparently feels that unspoken alliances that arise during the game, (my favorite kind!) are cheating too.

I think I like Grun's definition better.

But again, where's the line? It's impossible for me to play with someone I know (on or off the site) without it having an affect on my play with them. Is that PGA? I didn't sit down with them in a shady room and plan to screw everyone else out of their dom. It's not exactly an alliance, but it's certainly pre-game.
cadpilot wrote
at 11:00 PM, Thursday December 6, 2007 EST
dont think that pga can be programmed around unless you make the 7 positions anonymous and eliminate chat so people cant ID themselves. then there's still 3rd party chat systems.....
§ilverfox wrote
at 11:17 PM, Thursday December 6, 2007 EST
"If you team up against other players without them knowing it..." ~Ryan

Key words that I think most people are not seeing. "Without them knowing it..."

So, to address the "where's the line" kind of obtuseness, the line is: Tell people you and so-and-so are friends. That takes care of the requirement.

Ryan, thanks for the post, Sir. I am very happy to see this official decree.
Kleighton wrote
at 11:42 PM, Thursday December 6, 2007 EST
Kdice is a great game and I believe there are great players out there that don't need to resort to these cheap tricks. ~ Ryan
----
Re: i've been playing with my friend lately and we decided to team up - but i dont care if people know or not know - cuz its just a game, for points that dont really show anything - all i do is wanna screw around and have some fun - is that a so wrong?
----
Someone posted a topic about me PGA'ing and it even says that i "told" people that we were allies... [ignore the comments above :)]

Back to my point:
1) PGA is something that many players do, and will continue to do - truces are made in the game aswell... the difference is nothing
-they both do the same thing in the end
biteme wrote
at 11:45 PM, Thursday December 6, 2007 EST
> If players here think this is a valid way to play please post here so I can remove your account so the rest of us can play the real game

So not only is it against the rules to PGA (which is reasonable), it's against the rules to *think* PGAs are OK (which is ridiculous). Ryan you really are turning into the thought police.

I *think* PGAs are fine, but know how to follow rules. I've only PGA'd 5 out of the 700 or so I've played (and that was about 3 months ago).
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary