Forum

Inappropriate Icons
EddieT2 wrote
at 1:03 AM, Monday January 1, 2007 EST
I am contemplating quitting this site, since some users cannot refrain from using explicit animated gif's as their icons.

Keep the stuff away from the rest of us - we don't want it!! Destroy yourself, not us.

Suggestion: create a list of approved icons.

Replies 1 - 10 of 21 Next › Last »
Tech wrote
at 1:07 AM, Monday January 1, 2007 EST
Ah shush. "contemplating" my ass. If you wanted to leave, you'd be gone, not complaining.
fuzzniznaz wrote
at 1:10 AM, Monday January 1, 2007 EST
Creating a list of approved icons would not only put a damper on the creativity and self-expression of the users, but would further create a homogenizing effect on the look and feel of the tables.

I certainly don't think that you should leave the site over such a silly detail, but certailny it is an option if you feel the need. If small moving pictures bother you, I would suggest you take a break from kdice for a while until the Avatars can be turned off (which you can already do in gpokr). There is no need to regulate the mostly harmless expression of the users when it is much easier to simply make it so YOU don't have to bear witness to the atrocity of slowly heaving breasts.

I don't know what "Destroy yourself, not us" is supposed to mean; let it be said that I don't think that boobies flopping around in a picture the size of a postage stamp on my computer screen is going to hurt many people, let alone destroy anyone.

What an odd thing to say.

Suggestion: Use the "Ideas" link on the right side of the screen to suggest further thinks you'd like to see in the game.

fuz.
fuzzniznaz wrote
at 1:12 AM, Monday January 1, 2007 EST
I think I meant "left side of the screen", although my monitor IS upside down...

hmm.
Tech wrote
at 1:13 AM, Monday January 1, 2007 EST
But, before you make an idea look around for one that already encompasses your oh-so-sensitive feelings.

A Public Service Message from Tech, your Idea-Mod Candidate.
Tech wrote
at 1:15 AM, Monday January 1, 2007 EST
Why is your monitor upside down?
fuzzniznaz wrote
at 1:23 AM, Monday January 1, 2007 EST
I was doing something to the base of it, and I thought it would be funny. As it turns out, it's not. It IS annoying though.
CP03 wrote
at 1:34 AM, Monday January 1, 2007 EST
eddieT2 - read this post: http://aplayr.com/kdice/kdice/forum/topics/ryan%2C%20i%20have%20a%20question......../

i agree with you.

Tech - there no point attacking others. this is a forum to share opinions. it's ok that you don't agree.....it's another thing that you attack people, using foul language. if you don't like people sharing their opinion, don't read or reply to them.

fuzzniznaz - may be ryan can allow people to submit icons, but only to use it after his approval. that way, people can express their creativity without having offensive icons on the board.

fuzzniznaz wrote
at 1:41 AM, Monday January 1, 2007 EST
I really don't think Tech's comments qualify as "insulting" to anyone.

My point is that the problem lies in the eye of the beholder, in this case Eddie. It matters very little whether Ryan approves of Avatars; it matters very much to Eddie. Therefore the easiest (and most effective) solution would be to do what Ryan has already done for gpokr: allow you to turn off any offending avatar. The answer is not to suppress that which you do not like, but to ignore it.

Fuz.
fuzzniznaz wrote
at 1:43 AM, Monday January 1, 2007 EST
And, in your search for equanimous solutions to group problems, let censorship be a last resort. I find that to be a relatively good general philosophy.

Fuz.
Tech wrote
at 1:59 AM, Monday January 1, 2007 EST
Let me guess. The "foul language" in question is "ass" innit?
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary