Forum

banning players - Schrage
Onimushaport wrote
at 12:50 AM, Monday February 26, 2007 EST
I was playing with Schrage and asked him if he wanted a truce. He responded "STFU"

We had no prior experiences together that would have engendered a personal attack.

He then calls me a "Niglet" - a racist urban term.

Ryan, I hate to bother you with this kind of stuff. But hateul racist players should not allowed to keep their accounts. Please ban or talk to him about acceptable behavior.

Thanks!

Replies 1 - 10 of 15 Next › Last »
ebrake wrote
at 8:52 AM, Monday February 26, 2007 EST
This is an online game with an open chat room, there isnt anything that Ryan or anyone else can do to police the chat area short of deleting the box all together. There is no way to prove your alligation, you might be just making this up to get back at someone that you didnt like in the game.

I dont think that its going to be very smart for the developers to start kicking or banning people over the chat area. If its going to offend you then ignore it, there is no need to chat in this game. You can jsut move your browser window down till you cant see the chat box anymore and the problem is solved.
TheGrid wrote
at 9:11 AM, Monday February 26, 2007 EST
ebrake,

a) well this is only some angry kid with a desperate need of atention. I would not qualify this as a banning reason.

b) there is however a limit of "unprotected speech" in almost all countries. When it goes to racasism and fascism, child abuse etc. that even would legally require the site owner to take action. e.g. somebody spamming child pronography links in the chatbox.
Alpha1 wrote
at 9:28 AM, Monday February 26, 2007 EST
ryan has banned players before based on reports from others. i'd suggest you to cut and paste the chat conversation here as proof.
Brandon_121 wrote
at 9:31 AM, Monday February 26, 2007 EST
I think there is also a mute feature? I dont know how to do it though, but i have seen other threads on this.
Ryan wrote
at 9:43 AM, Monday February 26, 2007 EST
Onimushaport: Racism gets on my nerves and I always ban someone that says something like this. Usually if I witness it. I'll keep an eye out for scharge.

ebrake: You're right there is a lot of unnecessary complaining. Racist remarks however is one of those things that I don't like and have no problem with never seeing people like this again. Even if its just a joke. It's really about attitude. Ideally I'd like people here to be surrounded by other smart and nice people.

TheGrid a) This is one kid but needing attention but I still don't want him playing here. I might think about a 3 year ban so he can come back when he grows up. ;)

Alpha1: I can only ban people based on reports from people I know well. Unfortunately I'd have to see scharge saying stupid shit before doing anything.

Brandon_121: mute feature is useful for dealing with people like this but really just a temporary solution. Of course there are other reasons for using the mute feature on people that are just yappy too. I'm not going to ban the yappy people.

ebrake wrote
at 9:46 AM, Monday February 26, 2007 EST
TheGrid
ebrake,

a) Agreed on point a.

b) Im under the impression that this server is located in the USA where racism is protected uner free speech as long as he has not made physical threats. Even if he had made threats it would be up to the Police to enforce that law not the chat room owner. There is now way for the kdice staff to monitor every chat room in every game, its impossible. Even if they were monitoring every room who is going to decide what is acceptable and what isnt. Is Niglet a racist urban term or is it a nickname for a cat or a goldfish? Why should the kdice staff be forced to make that decision when you can simply chose to ignore the chat area in the first place?
ebrake wrote
at 9:48 AM, Monday February 26, 2007 EST
well I guess Ryan replied while Iw as typing mine, think he has a handle on it.
fuzzycat wrote
at 10:58 AM, Monday February 26, 2007 EST
ebrake, <i>"even if he had made threats it would be up to the Police to enforce that law not the chat room owner"</i>

You are wrong. Just because you think this is so und so, doesnt mean it is. Actually a website owner IS responsible for content on his webpage. No matter if it is contributet by other (most times anonymous people). Of course there can't a rigerous control, and you cant make responsibility out of a single sentence just here and there. But e.g. some table becomes "the comminication home" for illegal communication activity, the website owner IS responsible to remove it. In europa e.g. you are even held responsible of the content of sites where you link to (to remove this "illegal stuff meta-link-sites").

But the discussion is already over, because there is already a decision and thats it.

BTW: Your avatar is mostly annoying and reflects perfectly immaturity.
ebrake wrote
at 11:34 AM, Monday February 26, 2007 EST
LOL @ someone named fuzzy cat with that avatar calling mine annoying. Its clear that your lack of a sense of humor has resulted in your decisions to cohabitate with cats instead of real humans.
Onimushaport wrote
at 1:59 PM, Monday February 26, 2007 EST
Ryan,

I didn't copy the text, altho, it would be just as easy to copy (edit) and paste it if I wanted you to ban someone just for the sake of banning.

And I don't know if I would want you banning him just on the account of a single person. And believe me, I'm not a thin-skinned person. I've run across a lot of people who have rubbed me the wrong way, but Schrage's comments seemed to me to cross a certain line of decency.

Thanks for keeping an eye out for him.
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary