Forum

Dominance Explaination - leave the other threads alone
Ryan wrote
at 2:24 PM, Monday February 12, 2007 EST
Dominance is an ELO based adjustment where you have an expected score of 0-6. Your expected score is calculated based on ratings at the start of the game. If all ratings are equal then everyone has an expected score of 3.

Your score is accumulated during the game as players are knocked out. Each time a player is knocked out your AS(average size) for the game up to but not including the current round is compared. If you have a higher AS you get one point to your score. If you AS is equal then you get 0.5 added to your score. If it is less then you don't get anything added to your score.

AS is measured as the average total count of your territories at the beginning of each turn. The first round is not counted.

Replies 1 - 10 of 24 Next › Last »
Ryan wrote
at 2:24 PM, Monday February 12, 2007 EST
The above had been explained over and over in several threads but I thought I post it as a main thread to clear things up.
Ryan wrote
at 2:25 PM, Monday February 12, 2007 EST
As you can see if you get knocked out early its possible you will get a few points for dominance. Keep in mind that this is balanced by the negative points you get for getting last or near last place.
Ryan wrote
at 2:33 PM, Monday February 12, 2007 EST
It is also possible to elongate the game in a 3 player scenario when two players are allied and have not dominated the map. Each player may be able to get an extra point towards dominance. To be certain they would have to turn a 30 round game into a 60 round game. They would at most get 1/6th more points this way.

In my opinion its not worth the extra 30 rounds. It is a negative side effect of this scoring although the situation happens much less frequently than hide/truce did in the old system. The point gain is also much smaller than the gain from hide/truce in the old system.

Ryan wrote
at 2:34 PM, Monday February 12, 2007 EST
Now, please ask questions and make comments. I'll delete any comments that are insults or complaints.
Mailroom Sasquat wrote
at 2:43 PM, Monday February 12, 2007 EST
Very cool, so you can become weak, and as long as you get stronger before the next player gets knocked out, it won't hurt your dominace score. So the timing of killing people has a interesting strategic importance.
fuzzycat wrote
at 3:50 PM, Monday February 12, 2007 EST
Dice lord, it adds up for every player that died before you.

As soon I have really understood that concept, I might add a wikipage to explain this.
Ryan wrote
at 4:48 PM, Monday February 12, 2007 EST
You put you expected score and your actual score into the ELO equation and out pops a rating adjustment. So the +20 value is the output from ELO where the input is your expected score and actual score out of 6.
jakezack wrote
at 8:07 PM, Monday February 12, 2007 EST
So, I’ve asked this question before and it very possible that someone gave me a satisfactory answer and I just didn’t read it, but...

Why isn’t there a counter that measures the Average Size of each player? There was something like this in the sandbox for a while, but it was removed, so I assume that there is some rational for not having it that has been already discussed. I personally think it would be really helpful for strategy, and I am curious about what made Ryan take it out.
Ryan wrote
at 8:11 PM, Monday February 12, 2007 EST
I may bring it back. The reason it was out was because it was something new and the natural urge was to focus on it and forget any other strategy. It was a distraction.

Although I've seen some pretty horrible strategies on the tables today which I believe are an over reaction to the updated scoring. And this is without the AS count visible. So I suppose it can't make it worse. Can it?
jakezack wrote
at 8:33 PM, Monday February 12, 2007 EST
I guess so, I could see this going either way.

Maybe it would help reduce the number of ridiculously aggressive suicide attacks if players could see their AS drop when all their new territories are taken before their next turn.

You're probably right, though. I think you should at least wait until things have settled down and new strategies and tactics have been made until you think about bringing it back, but I still would like to see it eventually.
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary