Forum

Point system
EeDx wrote
at 11:22 AM, Wednesday January 17, 2007 EST
Hi,
could somebody please explain how the points at the end of the match are being calculated? Can't get it. Sometimes I've got 0 points for the 4th place, and sometimes I've got -1, -2 or -3...

Is it about performance during the game or what? And the points you get as first, second or third placed are always positive but everytime diffrent. I'm really confused about that.

thx in advance
ED

Replies 1 - 8 of 8
gohstlee wrote
at 2:25 PM, Wednesday January 17, 2007 EST
<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system">Here's a general explanation of the scoring system</a>. You can adjust the range of scores returned, and the "twitchiness" (how quickly scores change) by adjusting the parameters you use for the algorithm. Months ago, scores used to increase and decrease much quicker than they do now, but Ryan "toned it down" sometime in December, so that it is harder to move up or down.

However ELO was developed as a way to rate players of <strong>2-player</strong> games, not 7-player games. I'm not sure Ryan has ever disclosed how he calculates how the 3rd-, 2nd- and 1st-place finishers, etc get scored. In general, it depends on how the scores of the people you beat compare to your own score. If you beat a lot of higher-ranked players, your score should increase more than if you beat some 1300's. But the details are shrounded in mystery.

-- Gohstlee
no_Wolf wrote
at 2:33 PM, Wednesday January 17, 2007 EST
Noobs. :P

The formula was posted. Twice. Can't be arsed to give it to you.
gohstlee wrote
at 8:09 PM, Wednesday January 17, 2007 EST
S'okay.. it's a common question. It will get asked all the time. If the answer is in the forum, we can't go get it, because you can't (currently) navigate past the first forum page.

So, neener.
SirSebstar wrote
at 7:27 AM, Thursday January 18, 2007 EST
i;d like to know the formula as well
ps
is it true you get more points as 1st for more players surviving?? i think not, but arny is adamant
SirSebstar wrote
at 2:34 AM, Friday January 19, 2007 EST
mm. i cant work it out, AND i cant get past page one of the forum.
if anybody can help, then please do.
joby.d wrote
at 12:31 PM, Friday January 19, 2007 EST
Hello Sir Sebstar! =D

In the first reply link there's three formula images that the scoring is based on. Basically, there's one formula for adjusting your expected score based on the ratings of your opponents. I think the ten has been reduced to a five to account for luck in kdice. The second formula [actual adjustment] is just [your score + (16?) X (actual placement - expected placement)]. The scoring needs to be added to the wikipedia entry (located as a link to the left of the playing field)... - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kdice

All the best!
joby.d wrote
at 12:36 PM, Friday January 19, 2007 EST
The second formula means if you're rating is 1600 and expected to get 4th and you get 1st then adjusted score = 1600 + 16(3) = 1648

If you're expected to get between 2nd and 3rd and get 2nd then it'd be 16(.5) = +8
MadWilly wrote
at 3:05 PM, Friday January 19, 2007 EST
http://kdice.travially.de/
pizzafrau was so kind to try and program an algorithm to it. since she has not the exact values provided by ryan its a bit inexact but good to get an idea about it.
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary