Forum

What do you use for random numbers?
notgonnatellyou2 wrote
at 9:47 PM, Tuesday January 9, 2007 EST
Please don't say rand(). The number generator for this, I believe, is broken. The numgen built into php/java/most languages is absolutely horrible.

I just had a game where I lost all but 1 8v8 attacks/defends in a 15 move series. I won 1 of 15. There are other random number generator options out there, could you look into these?

Thanks.

Replies 1 - 10 of 17 Next › Last »
Ryan wrote
at 9:59 PM, Tuesday January 9, 2007 EST
One gerbil in a treadmill and a lava lamp.
Ryan wrote
at 10:00 PM, Tuesday January 9, 2007 EST
java.lang.Random()
Ryan wrote
at 10:00 PM, Tuesday January 9, 2007 EST
can you recommend something?
HBergeron wrote
at 11:59 PM, Tuesday January 9, 2007 EST
yeah, i was assuming rand() because the randomness can be truly nutty sometime - he's right, there are much better ways (like the brownian motion device you mention) but I do not have the talent to suggest one.

That being said - if you could dredge up one of the old methods for turning something like a lava lamp into a rand generator using a video camera and IR software, and run the video on the home page, that would be very, very cool
obscurehero wrote
at 12:34 AM, Wednesday January 10, 2007 EST
i knew there was something fishy about the randomness of the game. the probablilities I calculated just didnt match up, lol.
obscurehero wrote
at 12:38 AM, Wednesday January 10, 2007 EST
maybe you could implement this guys work? http://www.random.org/
TheGrid wrote
at 2:16 AM, Wednesday January 10, 2007 EST
while rand() isnt optimal it is NOT responsible for such series like you had.

Look there are dozends of people playing all the time around the clock. It is actually very likely that one in a time gets such an "unbelieveable" series, and then he complains here.

As I calcualted already once here, you actually have a 1:1 chance to get a series of 8, every 10-20th game you do.

Other than that, a hardware quantum mechanics random generator costs 1000,- (dollar, euro) pay it to ryan, he will use it ;o)

HOWEVER pre pepeared that you still will get series of 8, 12 or seomtimes 16. Its just "random" that they DO happen ;o)
TheGrid wrote
at 2:21 AM, Wednesday January 10, 2007 EST
random.org, nice service.

However people complaining about series, just get yourself a page of 1 in 2 decisions, to get a feeling about win/loose conditions:
http://www.random.org/cgi-bin/randnum?num=10000&min=1&max=2&col=5

I could e.g. easily spot a 10 series, on the very first page I got. It will stop complaining people about beeing treated unfair from fortuna, and blaming the *whatever* random implementation for it.
obscurehero wrote
at 2:40 AM, Wednesday January 10, 2007 EST
but lets all be honest. The rand() function has many inherent flaws. I once did a project on the law of large numbers using java. It was disparagingly inaccurate over small series.
TheGrid wrote
at 2:43 AM, Wednesday January 10, 2007 EST
Isn't every random inaccurate over small series?

There is even a formula about this...
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary