Forum

Donation, Stars, and the Ineffable Effect of a Token Economy
fuzzniznaz wrote
at 10:30 PM, Sunday December 31, 2006 EST
Ryan, do people who have donated receive a star next to their name or anything? I have just made a donation and didn't seen any overt change; that's not to say there's a problem with that, per se, but that it may be beneficial to do so.

Sure, it would bring a smile to my face to get a little token star next to my handle, but more importantly it would work like the "I Voted!" buttons and stickers that get distributed on voting days: it serves to reinforce my behavior, but also to alert those around me to the fact that A) I donated, and am therefore much cooler than them, and B) they could approach my coolness level by simply making a quick $5 donation.

The more people they see around them, the more "reminders" they get that this is a free, user-oriented and in many ways user-supported site.

You may do this already. If this is the case than I just waited my time with a overly verbose post about something that I'm simply too ignorant/stupid to notice.

Hoookay.

As you were,

Fuz.

Replies 1 - 6 of 6
Tech wrote
at 10:41 PM, Sunday December 31, 2006 EST
Lindsay has four stars for dropping a twenty, how long ago did you donate?
fuzzniznaz wrote
at 11:01 PM, Sunday December 31, 2006 EST
Oh, I suppose about 45 minutes ago now. I may have typed one of my other email addresses rather than the one affiliated with my aplayr account. Hmm.
fuzzniznaz wrote
at 10:22 PM, Tuesday January 2, 2007 EST
Although I can't remember. How do you check what Email address you signed up with?
Tech wrote
at 10:30 PM, Tuesday January 2, 2007 EST
Mebbe there was a thank-you-note form e-mail?
Ryan wrote
at 11:21 PM, Tuesday January 2, 2007 EST
fuzzniznaz you are verbose!

Yes you can have a star. Just let me know which email address you used with paypal. Send me an email if you want.
Ryan wrote
at 11:24 PM, Tuesday January 2, 2007 EST
American Literature student... makes sense. :)

You'll have to give me some book recommendations when we meet on the tables.
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary