Forum

Away players
Yce002 wrote
at 1:30 PM, Monday January 15, 2007 EST
Ryan, this is a problem you should certainly fix, we have been discussing about it for a long time now in the chat boxes, and everyone agrees that away players are a pain in the ass, now, i know we all agree to kill them first, but sometimes that ain't that simple cause they seem to defend strong most of time.*
So couldnt there be a penalty like less chances in dice rolling?
That would make games certainly more fair.

*For example: last game i was 2nd best player and was going for connection with a 8 stack on a 7 stack of an away player to get in first, well i lost the roll and ended up 5th because off it.

So the fact that away players don't get points by killing them first is solved, but the fact that they still steal away somebody's game and points isnt solved.

Maybe their shouldnt even be an away function, but something to replace it by or just not be their, and everybody who doesnt push the "end turn" button doesnt get a fill up or so (but this is gonna slow the game, might be able to speed the time while once not clicked, but dunno about that.

Replies 1 - 10 of 37 Next › Last »
funk1 wrote
at 1:34 PM, Monday January 15, 2007 EST
I was in the game Yce is talking about and must concur...currently, the flag comes up after 3 consecutive aways thereby not allowing away players to fill up. Perhaps there would be a way to have an away player flag immediately if they are away in round 1 and/or bring the flag up more quickly in mid-rounds? I don't see the harm in this, because on the chance that the away player just happens to miss their first turn, they can always simply click off their flag if they are really there...
Tech wrote
at 1:59 PM, Monday January 15, 2007 EST
Musta been really early on if one roll set you from 2nd to 5th. I don't entirely understand how the away player did something to you though....would you have stayed 2nd if the player was there?
llam wrote
at 2:09 PM, Monday January 15, 2007 EST
Anything about tweaking odds like that is chancey, though. With your suggestion, players near away players will actually be at an advantage because they'll have easier territories for the taking.
Yce002 wrote
at 2:12 PM, Monday January 15, 2007 EST
@tech:
If he was there, i would have connected with his upper one and i'd be free 2 go and would have doubled my ammount of connected countries.

@llam:
that's just whats the problem, their countries arent easier to take, just harder, they defend better, dont ask my why, its just that way, a lot of people agree so i'm not the only one making this point.

And to be clear about it: it was not a one time occurence.
Yce002 wrote
at 2:13 PM, Monday January 15, 2007 EST
sorry, i wouldnt have connected with his upper one, he would have, so his large stack would have been gone.
aixo wrote
at 3:29 PM, Monday January 15, 2007 EST
Only one argument to think about:

What´s about "away players" who can´t join the game by technical problems like an ugly connection.

Maybe they will come back to the game later.
So they still have the chance not to lose all their points as 7th or sixth player... this wouldn´t be fair also...

So I think the way ryan do it now - give them some rounds to fill up and have the chance to come back, but stopp the dice filling after some rounds and hiss the flag automatically good as it is!
willhaynes wrote
at 3:30 PM, Monday January 15, 2007 EST
How about that away players only get half the dice they are entitled to?
Tech wrote
at 4:17 PM, Monday January 15, 2007 EST
"sorry, i wouldnt have connected with his upper one, he would have, so his large stack would have been gone. "

I wouldn't be totally opposed to staying in your way just to spite you. But I digress, what if someone had to move into your way to connect? What would your topic be about then? You got unlucky, boohoo, let's move along with our lives.
Yce002 wrote
at 5:28 PM, Monday January 15, 2007 EST
That's not what its about tech, that was just an example, like funk did confirm. It's about the discussion that away players should be penalized more because they still have got to much influence and to discourage the "going on away". Everybody says that away players just are to much a burden and that the penalty aint large enough, so i just made a thread out of it.

I'm not complaining about one little situation in one game, that's just ridiculous, so don't focus on that and focus on the whole!
AlphaMeridian wrote
at 7:36 PM, Monday January 15, 2007 EST
On one hand, I agree with you. On the other, I kind of sympathize with away players who are away simply because due to bad rolls or bad strategy, there's no real reason for them to pay attention to the game, and there's no absolute surrender function (i.e., I surrender and I don't need everyone else to surrender to take my rating hit and go play another game)

Away players that are away, and they've NEVER made a move are another matter.
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary