Forum

Final decision:Diplomacy
alea iacta est wrote
at 4:30 PM, Friday January 5, 2007 EST
I just had a few experiences of being hated because I truced and been wiped off with suicidal moves. I have even been taken out 6th although I was 2nd strongest. I guess that type of things happens, but still: Could we please make a decision if diplomacy is part of the game? I think you have to explain to low ranked players that you don't get up there without to chat a little. So I like to hear opinions about that. My idea: Have a "truce liker" or "truce hater" symbol, so I wont get killed because I ask wrong questions on tables with 2 or more "haters". I'm off to post it at the ideas...

Replies 1 - 10 of 28 Next › Last »
Ryan wrote
at 5:06 PM, Friday January 5, 2007 EST
Diplomacy is part of the game... but so is anti diplomacy.

Making a truce is an act of aggression to the other players not in the truce and is commonly followed by attacks or other players trucing against you. Although new players may not act this way it is a better strategy than ignoring a truce.

Sometimes it makes more sense not to be the first one to make a truce.
alea iacta est wrote
at 5:35 PM, Friday January 5, 2007 EST
Counter truces are fun. I was just suprised by a conversation like "I hate trucers" "yeah me too" "let's kill them" "ok" (sth like that). It's actually a funny kind of counter truce, which I wouldn't mind. I just don't want to be said to spoil the game or be unethic. That was all... but I guess it was just a coincident that this happened in 3 of 4/5 games or so.
Overlast wrote
at 5:43 PM, Friday January 5, 2007 EST
Usually I dont do truces and I never propose them. However, when someone asks for a truce and you know that a decline would mean him proposing a truce to someone else... You have little choice but to acceptthe truce.

I tend to be very aggresive against people that make truces. If more people will do that it becomes less attractive to make truces. I guess that is the only way to ban them.
Overlast wrote
at 5:44 PM, Friday January 5, 2007 EST
I am not sure if I consider truces unethical however. But I do think they make the game less fun.
Ryan wrote
at 8:30 PM, Friday January 5, 2007 EST
They're not unethical. You need to think of who you might be offending.

If you truce with someone against the first place guy you're going to get hit by him. But your trucing because you think two can take first.

If your 2nd and you truce against first you better be sure 1st needs your help. Otherwise its a smart decision for 1st to take you out since everyone else will probably focus on you.

Also its good to truce with a neighbor who is fighting someone else. You're basically telling them that you will not attack them while they're being attacked on another front. And they will probably help you later.
TheGrid wrote
at 1:53 AM, Saturday January 6, 2007 EST
the most fun game i had, was with 3 players. One dominator, me 3rd. Made an truce with the 2nd player, and both killed the 1st player who was already sure about his 1st place. the 2nd wanted to surrender at first, but I convinced him, with lets try, together we have equal number of countries than him, we cant loose anything...
Fiji wrote
at 2:20 AM, Saturday January 6, 2007 EST
I personally hate when two players are dominating and decide to ally simply to solidify their win. Then the other players feel like its their job to get third. These are the times I make a suicide move against the trucers to motivate the others.
TheGrid wrote
at 2:24 AM, Saturday January 6, 2007 EST
Fiji, its typical for stupid players to fight about the 3rd place in this situation. A lot fairer and more fun would if the remaining players would in this situation join up, to kill the both trucing ones. Even if they have a small chance of winning, I feel it pathetic when players try to quick kill even smaller ones in their foresight of their own doom.
uncle_bob wrote
at 4:38 AM, Saturday January 6, 2007 EST
truces can create an extra dimension in the gameplay and the fun but the truces i hate are when somebody with only one or two grounds wants to truce with the 1st to try and have a 2nd or 3th place
survival of the fittest is my policy
aixo wrote
at 5:22 AM, Saturday January 6, 2007 EST
I´m also a big fan of truce! The best games I had:

I was in a lost position, two or three territories in a corner, my neighbour the same.

The "big ones" are fighting again and don´t look at us - we´re to tiny to do samething.

And instead of fighting I made an ally with my neighbour and we "rock" the table - one by the other...

This is fun!
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary