Forum

national alliances
totalsoccer wrote
at 9:24 AM, Saturday December 16, 2006 EST
So this is how it goes:
I am Dutch. So I am playing this game and at some point a guy A asks me in Dutch "if you go up I go down" (that's how it starts). I say "I dunno ask me in English". He doesn't reply and goes down. I have only 1 land (with a big stack) and my best option is to pot. A couple of turns later player B (the owner of "up") says in Dutch "Hey, more Dutch people here". And the 3 of us have a good laugh about how screwed I would have been by player B if I had replied that it was a deal about going up. However, at this point my land with the stack is sitting exactly at the place player B needs to connect his big territories. He would be the most powerful player having that territory. It can be a good idea to make a friend so I move to a medium pile of one of B's opponent, givig B connection and taking out an opponent's pile. To avoid rumours about secret national alliances I say (in English): "There you go player B, I hope you respect that". In the next turns B takes the countries around me and I am safe. I don't think anything has gone wrong yet: I am just helping someone to become powerful and be his friend. This has nothing to do with us being both Dutch. I do this with any player when it helps me.
So player B is strongest of the board, I am surrounded by B. A (being quite strong) says in Dutch: "I'll go for blue and you for Cyan". This seemed to me the second remark by player A that's unmoral and I try to save the day by saying "In English please". But blue replies: "Never mind, we figure what's going on here".
So the rest of the game player A and B wipe out the board and the 3 of us become 1st-3rd. I feel bad about this but I try to avoid national alliances: one time a guy who asked me was wiped out by me first, because it was the best option in that game. This time I got sucked into it, but I don't know where I could've done it differently.
So Dutch and Belgians, please don't ask me for your alliances and about going up or whatever. I just do what's best for me and _sometimes_ that includes making friends. And if you do ask, do it in English.
For the rest of the players: sorry.

Replies 1 - 7 of 7
joby.d wrote
at 9:50 AM, Saturday December 16, 2006 EST
i haven't seen it as a common problem but if it is you can just take the flag out of your location and see how that goes :P
Lindsay wrote
at 10:03 AM, Saturday December 16, 2006 EST
My flag has a rainbow
Rven wrote
at 11:08 AM, Saturday December 16, 2006 EST
I always try to talk english when I'm discussing aliances with a player, even if they speak dutch. Seems more fair, cause I too wouldnt like it when theyre making pacts and discussing strategies in a language I dont understand..
Mad Max wrote
at 12:11 PM, Saturday December 16, 2006 EST
because of situations like that I remove my country flag .. I also hate it
Bedevere wrote
at 6:29 PM, Saturday December 16, 2006 EST
I have played in two games now where a group of three people all speaking the same language have gone into the game and not attacked each other - only other players. They play until they've killed everyone and then just take 1,2 & 3 according to how much territory they happened to have.

If this propagates it will be very bad for this game. I understand that sometimes alliances like this might be alliances of convenience, but the last example I encountered was very blatant and clearly not so. In my mind, this is just another argument for a winner-take-all scoring system. =) Not sure what else could be done about this sort of situation other than to remember a list of people not to play with.
paperhat wrote
at 8:11 PM, Saturday December 16, 2006 EST
Babelfish can be your ally in these situations.
Meatbomb wrote
at 8:33 PM, Saturday December 16, 2006 EST
Interesting, I completely disagree with your point of view, totalsoccer. I find it quite fun to try and read / understand when people chat in foreign languages, and the ability to "stealth chat" in a different language is a benefit I think you should fully exploit.

Any Russian or Polish players, I am ready to do any dirty deeds with you in your own language, please feel free! :)
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary