Forum

Reinforcements first
Robertsbos wrote
at 10:42 AM, Tuesday March 6, 2007 EST
Hey guys, what are your ideas about a change in the game set-up.
So first the reinforcement fase, then the attack-fase; instead of the other way around like it is now.
This has a few advantages, like:
At the beginning of the round, you'll have more capacity the gain back some territory or even expand your current territories. Which will add up in the Dominance-points and thus increase your rank.
Furthermore it would prevent the unpleasant feeling that the guy who was just before you takes your territories, then receives his reinforcements and you have no way of taking back your territories.
Another advantage that if you split a connected empire, the player immediately feels the penalty and it can be a strong weapon againt powerful opponents.

Off course it has a downside: In the first 2 rounds, the guys who begin have immediately a strong foothold to create a first establishment, but on the other hand, when it's your turn you'll have right away an increase in dice to create your own.

From my opinion, this maybe improve over-all gameplay and I'm curious about your thoughts.

Greets
robert

Replies 1 - 6 of 6
Scaldis Noel wrote
at 10:59 AM, Tuesday March 6, 2007 EST
Don't like it. Too radical a change in game play. People complained when scoring and ranking were changed - they would go berzerk with a change like that. I doubt Ryan would even consider it since he often refers to the original dice wars when considering new tweaks to the gameplay. Since your idea would be a major deviation from the original dice wars, I think he would probably reject the idea right away...but I'm not him, so who knows?
Robertsbos wrote
at 11:10 AM, Tuesday March 6, 2007 EST
you're right. this change is definitely something else from the original DiceWars. But so are other ideas, like cilindrical maps, truces, the sandbox with 16 dice etc. Since we are not Ryan, we can only make suggestions.

But besides the fact if it is or is not implemented, the main discussion I tried to open was: What do you think of the idea?
Since KDice is also promoted as a Risk-like strategy-game, maybe some Risk elements can be introduced as well... e.g. this one

greets
Star Block! wrote
at 1:14 PM, Tuesday March 6, 2007 EST
The gameplay would be too much about whether your territories are split or not?
MadWilly wrote
at 1:34 PM, Tuesday March 6, 2007 EST
First of all: There is an ideas section.
Secound: your idea sounds alot like risk. i dont ideas making that game more like risk.
Third: If you couldn't tell by point one and two. The idea is pardon my language: bullshit.
MadWilly wrote
at 1:36 PM, Tuesday March 6, 2007 EST
and on your truce matter... in fact there is something like truces in original dicewars once you've found out how the AI resolves if it will attack you or not you can perfectly prevent most attacks on you.
Alpha1 wrote
at 1:50 PM, Tuesday March 6, 2007 EST
too much rides on initial placement (and map layout).
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary