Forum

Unfun tables
billisdog wrote
at 1:18 AM, Monday March 5, 2007 EST
(I threw this in the idea database too but I really wanted to foster some discussion on the topic so I thought I'd post here about it as well...)

Does anybody think we could use a good way to get rid of "unfun" tables quickly? By unfun I'm not only referring to tables that take a lot of skill out of the game (I know theres luck in kdice and all so this doesnt bother me) but just tables who have a layout that honestly makes the game not much fun. "Ljkfjn" 1600 table would be a good example. I'm thinking particularly tables that have some of the following features:

- A large main body and then a looong stringy peninsula across one edge that only connects to the mainland through one terrtiory. Four out of five times the player who starts with 2-3 territories on the peninsula has the game in hand right from the outset. Short peninsulas of a few countries are fun and create strategy choices. Long chains of nine to ten countries lead to some pretty degenerate situations.

- Too many peninsulas splayed out all around the various sides with one main landmass in the center. This seems to frequently lead to 3-5 players each staking out a medium strength position in the various corner peninsulas and a player who might do a great job controlling the center at first, but he is the only one everybody else can go through, making any kind of meaningful truce or parlaying of advantage impossible.

- Maps that are basically split in half between two huge continents with only one or two countries forming a small land bridge between them. It's like playing two separate games. It can frequently lead to player frustration when truces are made in light of the situation on either half of the table and then later are difficult to honor to both parties' satisfaction when bridging the gap becomes an issue.

Anyway, I'm not trying to bitch about skill or luck with these tables here, just well, I think we can all agree that a lot of times these quickly lead to lame games. I'd love to see some kind of system where a player can vote against a table as being one that does not make for enjoyable games and after accumulating so many votes, it goes back to the bin to be replaced by a fresh table which is hopefully more fun.

Barring that, it might be nice to start seeing discussion in the forums of particular, specific unfun tables where maybe we can just bring some of the worst offenders to light and maybe ask about them on a case by case basis. I'll start: The "ljkfjn" 1600 table is liquid lameness. Anyone else agree?

Replies 1 - 8 of 8
MadWilly wrote
at 6:13 AM, Monday March 5, 2007 EST
To be honest its all about skill. Everyon sitting down at those tables accepts their layout. getting rid of them proposes one particular kind of playing. which is the one merely _you_ prefer. that may not be bad. But i consider it short sighted. If you cant take advantage of such layouts dont play on such maps or face your elo getting wasted with a reason.
Scaldis Noel wrote
at 6:13 AM, Monday March 5, 2007 EST
I totally disagree. I enjoy the variety that these tables provide. It forces you to use creative strategies to deal with unusual situations.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone doesn't. If you don't like the tables, wait for a game on another "fun" table.
OldElvis wrote
at 11:54 AM, Monday March 5, 2007 EST
The layouts of the tables change from time to time don't they? SFIGONE where I won my first game had opposing penisulas(i?), but when I can find it now it's different.
Alpha1 wrote
at 6:46 PM, Monday March 5, 2007 EST
with some maps, like zippyzip and DJ_Illvibe, and added the more uneven start, unless you get a good placement, otherwise, you are pretty much gone. with maps like these, luck becomes more important than skills.

anyone knows how maps are generated/designed?
Maelwys wrote
at 8:49 PM, Monday March 5, 2007 EST
I actually prefer tables with peninsulas and land bridges, compared to the compact maps with a massive conglomerate of territories each bordered by 2-5 territories a piece.
Alpha1 wrote
at 10:23 PM, Monday March 5, 2007 EST
the players who have an initial standing near the peninsulas and land bridges can easily hide and beef up and then attack. they have an unfair advantage due to initial placement.......what so fun about having a table like that (unless you are placed favourable, of course).
gohstlee wrote
at 10:46 PM, Monday March 5, 2007 EST
I like the odd tables. In fact, if anything, I would suggest that Ryan *add* a few more different maps, rather than take any away.

The solution is simple... if you don't like a map, <b>don't play on it</b>. Wait for the next one. This may become a small hardship at slow times of the day, because it might take a little while to fill *2* tables, but it's worth it.

Why dos everyone just come here with complaints? I guess it is human nature, but jeez...
Scaldis Noel wrote
at 6:05 AM, Tuesday March 6, 2007 EST
ghostlee,

You are exactly right. Lots of complaints, and an unwillingness to wait for a table they like. But I guess those of us who like the variety of tables should take a back seat to those who want tables to be a big freaking square with nothing unusual on it.
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary