Forum

Rank abuse speculation
XicaDaSilva wrote
at 2:13 AM, Thursday March 1, 2007 EST
Well, we don't know exaclty how this new rank/score thig works apart from this: "Rank is calculated from your score. This is a different value from your rating as it takes into account how many games you are able to maintain a high rating. Your score increases after every game. The formula for the increase is 1/rank_from_rating."

So a player in the 15-25 range seem to get about 0.05-0.08points/game (assuming they maintain the ranking).

What follows is pure speculation, Ryan correct me if I am wrong.

We already know that people have different users and abuse the ELO rating by rotating users attempting to play against higher rated players. This can't go to far because as the ratings grow they have to play same or lower rated players.

The new incremental score however can be increased easily without ever playing a high rated player.

Lets say plyer JohnDoe is currently 13th with a rating about 1880, he creates another user Jo rated 1500 (brand new). 7 other users of "smart strategies" do the same.

Now on a no min table, the round robin begins. First joker uses his JohnDoe user against 6 1500 users and as agreed he wins. Rating doesn't change much, but he gets the extra points .10 for maintaining the 13th position.

all this top lists, trophies bring with them the wrong incentive for certain players. Enjoying the game is not important anymore, getting this 'recognition" at any costs is the goal. "Smart schemes" have the potential to spoil the fun of playing the game for neutral players, which just want to play an open games, to enjoy the fight, and mesure their skill against other experienced players.

Replies 1 - 10 of 10
XicaDaSilva wrote
at 4:12 AM, Thursday March 1, 2007 EST
Maybe give those increments only if player plays at highest level table permitted by his rating?
________________ wrote
at 5:39 AM, Thursday March 1, 2007 EST
Start playing the game and enjoy it - instead of making silly remarks here in the forum...
XicaDaSilva wrote
at 6:38 AM, Thursday March 1, 2007 EST
@____________
I posted an opinion, you come and complain without bringing any info. Your post is meaningless. And rude.
________________ wrote
at 8:30 AM, Thursday March 1, 2007 EST
Of course it´s rude... I´m only nerved by you. And I had the wish to tell it to you.

Ryan himself was also nerved by this forum, once he thought to close it...

Can´t we use this forum to discuss the really important subjects.

Instead of making silly scenarios how someone could try to cheat to come into the top 10, try to get the idea of this game...

This game DON´T make any advices HOW to play together... everything is allowed... there are only technical advises!

This is a multiplayer-game. There are social structures. Like in real live. So of course there are people who want to cheat. And other people are defending. But this isn´t Ryan´s problem.

In the first big discussion about alliances - if they are right and ok or not - he said that kdice is about diplomacy - and anti-diplomacy as well. It´s a Multiplayer-Game.

But I´m really pissed off by your club of "well-understanding-and-we´re-so-right" together with fuzzycat, and SandyBell and whoever take part...
no_Wolf wrote
at 2:23 PM, Thursday March 1, 2007 EST
Yes....yes....Join the jaded forumite side of the force!
OldElvis wrote
at 3:09 PM, Thursday March 1, 2007 EST
I do like to play, and of course I do like to win, but I have to admit, I worry more about my ranking than I should. I have no idea on how to do the multiple accounts thing, but the rating sometimes does get in the way of the game.
On the other hand, I do tend to look at the other table to find out how a higher ranked player plays the game.
XicaDaSilva wrote
at 3:21 PM, Thursday March 1, 2007 EST
@________

"Can´t we use this forum to discuss the really important subjects. "
Yho appointed you to decide what is important.

Go discuss whatever you want but create a separate thread for that.

On this thread we already have a topic, fell free to give feedback abut the *topic*.
________________ wrote
at 3:38 PM, Thursday March 1, 2007 EST
So - an point to your so-called "topic":

You´re scenario is silly. It´s to much work for the result...

In generall: Of course it´s players are interested in their rank... it´s a game and a competition - who is the most skilled player?
And there is a big difference on playing on a higher table then on a lower table. There are different strategies. On the higher table it´s really more (not all, but more) about skill then on the unlimitted tables. A player who win very often on the higer tables is often losed on the unlimited tables by these reckless players... And it´s also nice to play more often with people you know... and you will know more people on the higher tables if you played there a while... So it´s logic to have the wish to play on the higher tables...

@ OldElvis... log out under Options on the game-board. When Log-In again just create a new player. The e-mail-adress is not checked if it exists or not...
glob stain wrote
at 5:07 PM, Thursday March 1, 2007 EST
whast wrong with being ranked by just your score? theres a suitibly complicated system in place to work out how many points you get for winning a particular game with dominance etc. Now why have another load of equations to deduce whos at the top? I was well shocked when I saw I dropped a hundred places while being asleep. Also, xica has a bit of point although i don't understand the details. I'm convinced some people have multiple accounts to rig the system but i don't think we need to make the system hurrendously complicated to combat it. It would be easy for ryan to have some auto pickup of players gaing all their points to the same players, who also always loose to the master player in the final rounds. They have these "anti-collusion" codes in place in all poker sites and a simple one would pick out the handful of cheats. laters
XicaDaSilva wrote
at 8:08 PM, Thursday March 1, 2007 EST
@glob stain
I believe the reason was that old style didn't give any incentive to top players to play, while their were still in the top 25.
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary