Forum

Surrender option to protect dominance points
Scaldis Noel wrote
at 8:06 AM, Saturday February 24, 2007 EST
On another thread, Vengeance suggested an idea I think is worth discussing in more detail in its own thread. The suggestion was a "true surrender option" to prevent a strong player who is taken down by an alliance from losing major domination points by their decision to keep him at one territory for an extended period of time.

I think that this has merit. It would essentially allow a player who has built up to a strong position to quit the game when it is clear that the alliance against him has won and not lose points because the alliance decides to drain him of dominance.

I think that you should have this option if you have been in the number one position for at least a few turns and have been reduced to only say 2 or 3 territories.

The downside I see is that people would try to gain 1st early with the plan to suicide and then surrender. So, I think that it should only be allowed after a certain round, or after you have held a high position for at least a certain number of consecutive rounds.
Also, it would potentially encourage a later round 1st position player to give up too easily when 2nd and 3rd gang up on him, so there should be a bit of a penalty for doing it.

Maybe the whole idea will introduce too many complications, and create incentives for bad play... I don't know. Just throwing the idea out for discussion. Any ideas on how it could be implemented, pros/cons?

Replies 1 - 5 of 5
fuzzycat wrote
at 8:14 AM, Saturday February 24, 2007 EST
"""The downside I see is that people would try to gain 1st early with the plan to suicide and then surrender. So, I think that it should only be allowed after a certain round, or after you have held a high position for at least a certain number of consecutive rounds."""

It won't, since
* you still get 7th meaning a lot of minus points on the other side.
* while you have to hold a big terrain at least 1 round. This is not achieved by spreading out, having 1-2 dice everywhere.

When you are in this good big position, surrending just to get AS 1st and totally give up your place ranking is madness. You could easily go for total-win in this situation.
Scaldis Noel wrote
at 8:16 AM, Saturday February 24, 2007 EST
As I think about it, it may be as simple as changing the calculation of average number of territories for a player who has been in 1st place for at least x number of consecutive rounds. At the time the player goes out or the game ends, his average score could be based only on the average number of territories up to the last time he was in first.
fuzzycat wrote
at 8:17 AM, Saturday February 24, 2007 EST
Totally surrender would require the game to create "neutral" countries... beeing gray, no dice gain.

I would like to enhance the option to surrender even single countries. (Drag/drop a white flag on that country).. turning them gray. Beeing able to remove single islands in the beginning game. This could enhance strategic options and thinkings.

Total surrender is just surrendering all your remaining countries.
fuzzycat wrote
at 8:18 AM, Saturday February 24, 2007 EST
Scaldis Noel, you create a problem where I think there isn't one.

Look, getting big fast is only archieved by sweeping all out. This will NOT enhance your AS, only if you keep the countries until next turn. Usually you loose them all fast.

IF you are big having a lot of dice on the countries, you would just be silly to surrender and getting a low place.
failed the Turin wrote
at 10:34 AM, Saturday February 24, 2007 EST
This sounds a lot like the Suicide Button idea already proposed on that page.
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary