Forum

advertisement issues
jasond315 wrote
at 12:21 PM, Friday February 23, 2007 EST
I have one complaint, and one question.

The complaint is regarding the stupid "zap the mosquito and win a laptop" advertisement on the side of the browser everytime I check mine or someone elses stats. I can't always reach my speakers to turn them off, and that has to be one of the most annoying noises life has to offer.

The question is regarding a pop-up I get once or twice a day. I haven't gotten a pop-up for two years since I started using firefox/EZ firewall, till Kdice. Whenever it pops up, it pops up behind the active browser, and everytime, whether I'm maximized, minimized, or full screen, I lose my top bar, so no back/forward/refresh, so I have to alt/f4 and re-open it. Not a huge deal, but annoying, and just wondering if others are having this problem.

Replies 1 - 10 of 11 Next › Last »
JDizzle787 wrote
at 12:24 PM, Friday February 23, 2007 EST
Well, the buzz is to get attention, and, I agree with the complaint but, Ryan gets money for this, doesn't he? That's good, right?
fuzzycat wrote
at 12:43 PM, Friday February 23, 2007 EST
Yes, I too really dislike the popups, but didn't say anything on my own.

unobstrusive advertisment on the other hand is okay...
fuzzycat wrote
at 12:44 PM, Friday February 23, 2007 EST
Ryan could really make some bucks buy selling kdice "merchandise". You know t-shirts and mugs. its quite easy to do, there are companies that over it all for you. You only have to send them the designs... things are then also only produced "on-demand".
Ryan wrote
at 1:52 PM, Friday February 23, 2007 EST
I'm testing other revenue models. I didn't realize there was sound with the ad. I think I can turn the mosquito ad off.
Alpha1 wrote
at 1:59 PM, Friday February 23, 2007 EST
i have no problem with ryan making a little money off his hard work.
TimC wrote
at 2:43 PM, Friday February 23, 2007 EST
Hell, I'd buy a kidce tshirt.
TimC wrote
at 2:44 PM, Friday February 23, 2007 EST
Also, a *kdice* tshirt (damned brain!)
JDizzle787 wrote
at 5:49 PM, Friday February 23, 2007 EST
Yeah, a t-shirt would be cool. Maybe phrases like "I'm pre-allied", or, "Truce?", or your name, avatar, score, like it is during the game. Maybe a pic where an eight dice stack highlighting a three, or two (don't know the odds), and on the back it loses. A buch of things can come from it.
failed the Turin wrote
at 6:05 PM, Friday February 23, 2007 EST
Two step web ad solution worked for me: 1. get Firefox, 2. get Ad Block Plus

As far as alternate revenue streams go: host a T-shirt design contest, there are enough good original icons here that I'm guessing this community could come up with some worth-buying screen print designs in Photoshop or a vector app. Offer some money for the winner and then sell the design here. Hey if TorrentPond can sell it's own clothing, then kdice sure as hell can.

Here's a slightly witty, mostly terrible, merch idea: a picture of an 8 stack on the front of men's or back of women's underwear (I'll let you decide on the implicit meanings).
z3dd wrote
at 6:32 PM, Friday February 23, 2007 EST
lol

Anyways t-shirts are a great idea.
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary