Forum

Great game, but I'm retiring from Kdice. I do have a scoring suggestion.
banjhakri wrote
at 8:29 AM, Monday January 29, 2007 EST
337 games later.

To Ryan and everyone else,

Jay Bibby is right, it is the best online multi-player I've encountered. It rewards cunning and strategy. And I’ve gotten a lot of miles out of it. There is very little wrong with the system and I don’t agree with 95% of the suggestions out there. The ELO thing is fine, the chat is fine, the odds, simplicity rules in this game. I would have quit at game 20 if it wasn’t for the ranking system, the competitive aspect of the game is highly rewarding. When playing at the 1900 tables, with about 80% of the people all possessing a more-or-less equal level of skill, the only thing left to play for is points. There is no shame in this.

But my reasons for hesitation in the beginning are my reasons for quitting now. In a word: COLLUSION. At first the whole political/diplomatic thing was fun, to decide when and who to ally with, to quickly counter alliances, to earn a reputation as a fair and equitable player.

Diplomacy is fun, however, groveling is not. And that is what separates the highest ranked players from the rest. The ability to grovel their way from a 6th/7th place finish to 3rd/4th place. People stop playing the game and start hunkering down for a middle-place victory, trying to get a treaty with the dice leader in round 4 and getting it. People say, “hey, I didn’t attack you when I could have, so let me take 2nd with my 1 territory,� when they should have taken 7th a long time ago. Being ignored because there are bigger threats isn’t justification for 2nd place.

I can usually tell where I should rank as soon as the game starts. I’m tired of seeing potential 3rd-5th place finishes turn to 7th because I refuse to say, “Please don’t kill me!� or “hey can I just hide out here in the corner? k thx.� I’m also tired of seeing a game have 7 player at round 20 with four of them holding 1-2 territories and arguing about who should be killed first!

I have two solutions, the first would definitely bring me back to the game. I apologize if this has already been suggested:

Punish protectionism/attrition. Reward aggression. My change to the scoring system:

In additional to final place, make final score a function of average number of territories held placed into some equation against the number of rounds survived. This way, somebody who holds 1-2 territories after round one and is knocked out at round 2 gets a small negative score. Make people WANT to go out fast when they have a botched start. Similarly, somebody who holds onto 1 territory for 20 rounds gets a small negative score or worse. Somebody who puts up a good fight, holds onto 1st the majority of the game, and is overcome by opponents has the potential to still come out ahead.

Permanent Alliances.

Second, create a “permanent treaty� button. Though people wouldn’t have to use it, per se, I think they would. It would prevent attack between players with a treaty. The software would have to determine when a game stale-mated from boundaries and treaties. It should also populate a public message in the chat when a treaty has been offered and/or accepted.

Replies 1 - 10 of 23 Next › Last »
JDizzle787 wrote
at 10:32 AM, Monday January 29, 2007 EST
I have an idea just like that permanant truce thing. Age of Empires style. It's in the ist of ideas somewhere, along with it's explanation.
Overlast wrote
at 12:27 PM, Monday January 29, 2007 EST
I agree. The whining is terrible. Pleaaaaaaaaase give me 4th instead of 5th because I did not attack you all game.

How lame is that omg. Alliances I have learned to live with. But this is just gay.

For you rinformation, i keep a list of whiners and kill them first when I play with them :P
fuzzycat wrote
at 12:52 PM, Monday January 29, 2007 EST
I think only the 1st place should get points. The objective for the game is to get all countries! The objective is not getting a big ruler by whining etc. to kill you last..

I know however this is a rather unpopular opinion, but well :o)
z3dd wrote
at 12:59 PM, Monday January 29, 2007 EST
wow fuzzy that is actually a pretty good idea.
East wrote
at 1:33 PM, Monday January 29, 2007 EST
what really gets me is the kids who are left with one or two territories and go away just to be left alone. the dice leader (or anyone else for that matter) will ALWAYS leave this one or maybe these two people alone and eliminate the legitimate players first. i really agree with banjhakri here about rewarding agression and punishing protectionism and attrition. an easy fix for this would be for people who are away for more than 5 rounds (who would normally be flagged anyway) begin losing dice on each turn. or alternatively, if a player does not attack in 5+ rounds, they have a net loss of one die for each territory (regardless of connection).

my $.02
no_Wolf wrote
at 3:33 PM, Monday January 29, 2007 EST
C'mon people, imagination.

Banjhakri, best exit yet.
Overlast, good for you.
Fuzzycat, unpopular and old.
Z3dd, it's not, it's really not.
East, keep your pennies, we've no need for them.
fuzzycat wrote
at 3:47 PM, Monday January 29, 2007 EST
I know its unpopular. But as you said yes it is old, but the scoring system based on places besides 1 just doesn't make much sense, as we see again and again.
fuzzycat wrote
at 3:50 PM, Monday January 29, 2007 EST
Overlast, well did you ever make interview for an open job. I mean you beeing the interviewer giving a job. Then you will now it feels shitty for you, when people looking at you with dog eyes and through the flower are begging for the job. And you got to decide, its not easy. And beeing emper number 1 in kdice who has to decide whom is a poor copy to this.

Do you then as interviewer also write down the whiners, and "kill" them next time??
fuzzycat wrote
at 3:51 PM, Monday January 29, 2007 EST
BTW: we decided on one of the non-whiners, but he was a wrong decision! You cant go by that, another one would possible have had more motivation.
Nayr wrote
at 8:18 PM, Monday January 29, 2007 EST
Trust me fuzzycat, ive played the 1st place only advancement card. If this was true, all players would simply leave as soon as they realized they werent getting first. That deters from the multiplayer aspect of the game
KDice - Multiplayer Dice War
KDice is a multiplayer strategy online game played in monthly competitions. It's like Risk. The goal is to win every territory on the map.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary